Friday, March 21, 2008

That Smells


The smell of the inside of an animal once in my nose/head, stays. There were concrete stalls that were butcher shops and they turned my stomach then too, around the edges of the markets mixed up with the sour sweat and the smell of produce. It was everything in those carefree days when it was just what was. Nothing to be done but react. Maybe an adult held me up by the arm and hushed. Now I hush my own me and mine. This niche, homesteaders and hunters, poor people all over, we know these smells. It's not dinner conversation, IT"S DINNER. I'm a vegetarian who eats meat and I think that appropriate, or should say could think it was. What could be the GAIN in making excuses for ones actions. As if being lame was something that had to be prevented by legislative action. Lame duck, speaking on and of the course. When the ideal is compromised it should be with awareness. Life is not about covering the bases to establish internal consistency and reliability. Adams apple was a chicken heart and it smelled terrible (just to be clear, this last is certainly to be taken as complete hogwash, if it seems I'm advocating veggievoreism I'm not being unclear enough). This is the fruit that we have all tasted and continue to taste. What that means is no simple dogma.
I had decided that representational language would be covered under the non-rep language umbrella, as a test if nothing else to entice us into a false understanding and the mistakes in judgement that will surely as a result pull us back into the freshness of the language. Like a splash of water to the face after our labor in the fields. To wash away the heat
and the smell of the day.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I know that smell...wow. It never leaves, that memory.

Feel free to reciprocate!

thecolbycorner.blogspot.com

:)